Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Check Out Materials for the New AP Latin Curriculum

The College Board has announced that they are replacing Caesar with Pliny the Younger for the next iteration of the Advanced Placement Latin curriculum. Latin teachers are eagerly awaiting the final details on which letters will be included and how they will fit with the revised lines of Vergil's Aeneid. Hopefully the announcement will come soon so that writers can get started on materials. The 2025-2026 school year will be here before we know it!

Speaking of materials... since I am a fan of Pliny the Younger AND I have time on my hands through the joys of retirement, I decided that I would adapt some of the materials I had created for my own classroom and make them available to teachers, for a modest fee. I was getting excited over the possibility of creating materials and making a contribution to the Latin community.

I looked through my files, checked out the texts of Pliny I had on hand, and checked texts available online, and determined that all of them lacked macrons. I figured that I would need to offer these diacritical marks if I wanted to offer anything for sale, so I asked on the very useful Latin Teacher Idea Exchange (LTIE) on Facebook whether teachers would use materials without macrons, and good thing I did!

I received responses fairly quickly, including a post directing me to a prolific writer who included macrons. I took a look and my plans for developing materials came to a screeching halt. Not only were there letters of Pliny the Younger available with long marks, but there were facing notes, vocabulary, and review of grammar and syntax found in them... almost in the exact same format I was planning to offer! I was a little disappointed that someone had beat me to it, and had come up with the same idea I had, but after checking out the materials available, I was impressed and glad that they existed for teachers, AND for free!

Check out Geoffrey Steadman's copious materials available on the new AP Latin curriculum as well as numerous other Latin and Greek authors and works. I am impressed and wish I had known these existed when I was still teaching! Outside of the printed texts, there are new and FREE pdfs available to download with a promise of updated versions coming later in Spring 2024. Do check them out and see if you can use them! Good stuff!

No comments: