Tuesday, February 28, 2023

All About That JCL Motto: A Keynote Address

Last fall, I was invited to give the keynote address at the 2022 Virginia Junior Classical League Convention in Richmond. Here is the fleshed out version of the presentation given by outline:

"Thank you, Chloe (VJCL President who had just introduced me)! Salvete, omnes! Quid agitis? I am honored to be the keynote speaker for this 70th anniversary of the Virginia Junior Classical League Convention. I never expected I would be here today, speaking before such an enthusiastic gathering of Latin students and teachers -- I must admit that I am a bit flattered that you still want to hear from me -- nor had I ever expected to be attending a VJCL convention in the past. As a high school student, I didn't even know about JCL and all its activities. As a college student, I still didn't know about all the fun and camaraderie. As a first-year teacher? Nope, still not aware of the JCL love. But everything changed my second year after I changed schools. David Winn, my colleague at a neighboring school in my new school system, introduced me to the glory that is JCL, and I ended up attending 31 state conventions and even four national ones. In order to discover these new experiences, I had changed my location, changed my mindset, opened myself up to new ideas, and here I am 35 years later.

JCL's theme for 2022-2023 is caelum, non animum mutant, qui trans mare currunt. This passage comes from Horace's Epistles I.11 and, in order to fully its meaning, you have to read this line in the context of the entire poem -- context is important for almost everything in our lives. Here's an outline of the poem addressed to a certain Bullatius:

  • Lines 1-10: Horace asks Bullatius about his impressions of all those famous and fancy cities in the Greek East
  • Lines 11-21: Horace reminds Bullatius that he is and, therefore, we are responsible for our own happiness
  • Lines 22-30 (the section from which our theme arises): Horace advises Bullatius to enjoy each hour as it passes -- an echo of his carpe diem theme in his Odes.
Now, what is the context of our theme and what does it all mean? Again, caelum, non animum mutant, qui trans mare currunt, and here is my translation of the last section of this Epistle:

You be thankful for whatever time god has granted you
and do not put sweet things off until next year,
so that, wherever you have been, you can say that you lived happily;
for if reason and discretion carry away our troubles,
and not a place looking out over a wide stretch of sea,
those, who rush across the sea, change their location, not their mindset.
Idle busyness troubles all of us; with ships and chariots
we seek to live well. What you seek is right here,
it's at Ulubrae, if you keep a level head.

Note: Ulubrae is a tiny village, literally a back-water, located on the Pomptine Marshes near Rome and famous for its incessantly noisy frogs.

So, what is the relevance of this theme to us as we celebrate all things JCL? There is a big, beautiful world out there -- go experience it! In other words, when in Rome, do (somewhat) as the Romans do. But, keep yourself grounded with the comforts and familiarity of home. You must enjoy life as it comes, as you have it, as you know it -- seize the day! Don't go rushing off to new places simply expecting things to be different -- you can change your sky, your location (caelum), but to live the happy life, you have to change what's inside you, you mind, your heart, your mindset (animus).

So, on that note, I wish you a fun, exciting, and educational VJCL convention! Thank you!"

No comments: